Whilst people are doing their January / February detoxes, or thinking about detoxing when Spring finally arrives, I thought it would be an idea to talk about the benefits of a Himalayan Salt Bath.
In my blog last month, I talked about the healing benefits of a Himalayan Salt lamp. Here is another use for this amazing salt!
Benefits of bathing in pink salt
Detoxification – the natural salt solution helps to draw toxins from the body via the skin;
Mineral absorption – Himalayan salt contains 84 minerals, all essential to the body. Bathing in this salt will enable the body to absorb these minerals and will also reduce the body’s acidity and help to regulate the pH of the skin.
Energising – The body absorbs all the minerals that it needs to maintain good health, and in so doing, provides an energy boost. I have heard that some people can be sensitive to this, so it may be a good idea not to bathe last thing at night when you first try it out – just in case it energises you more than you want at bedtime! Nobody in our family has ever had problems sleeping after a salt bath, but we are all different.
Healing to the skin – the salt solution reduces inflammation and can calm and heal the skin. Its antibacterial properties mean it can be very helpful to sufferers of eczema and psoriasis.
Reducing inflammation and pain – Doctors at Manchester University found that frequently bathing in salt water reduced inflammation associated with arthritis. This is because arthritic cells tend to retain water, and the salt encourages this water to be drawn out by osmosis (1).
Relaxation – getting into a warm bath for a long soak is a great way to reduce stress and anxiety. The salts are an added bonus!
Recipe for detox salt bath:
- 1 large handful Pink Himalayan Salt crystals
- 1 small shot glass of full fat milk
- 4 drops of an essential oil of your choice;
- Run a warm bath and add a handful of salt whilst it is running.
- Add the essential oils of your choice to the shot glass of milk, (this acts as an emulsion to disperse the oil throughout the water).
- Once the bath is run, add the milk and oil solution, climb in and relax!
- Soak for a minimum of 20 minutes to allow the salt and oil to really penetrate the skin.
- No need for soap, the oils will clean you, and no need to rinse off.
We bath in pink salt once a week, unless there is something specific we are trying to clear, and then it could be daily for up to a week. My kids love salt baths because it means no soap – just a lovely long soak!
I buy my salt crystals from The Amazing Himalayan Salt Company. If you decide to buy from Arun, make sure you add the promotion code Nudi-gift at check out and you will be sent a small free salt gift with your purchase.