This is my new favourite breakfast! Its pink because it contains beetroot, a nutritional powerhouse of goodness and perfect to eat at this time of year! Check out my recipe for Beetroot Muffins for more information on their benefits.
It also contains shelled hemp seeds which are high in protein – a must for giving you enough energy to keep you going until lunchtime. There is a good summary of their health advantages here.
- 1 beetroot
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tbsp. shelled hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Peel beetroot and cut into chunks, then roast in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Allow the beetroot to cool, then add to a food processor with 1 cup of almond milk and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan and add the oats, hemp seeds and chia seeds and mix well.
- Cook on a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly and adding additional almond milk as needed to obtain the porridge consistency that you like.
- Finally stir in the honey and add a few seeds to garnish if you wish.