Charlie and I have become a bit addicted to this simple start to the day. It is a great booster for the immune system and will wake you up faster than a coffee!
To make 2 servings;
- 2 apples (packed with antioxidants which combat free radicals and phytochemicals which reduce inflammation)
- 1 lemon (high in vitamin C and antioxidants which boost the immune system, also helps to detox the body)
- A golf ball sized chunk of ginger (containing gingerols which are highly antioxidant and anti-inflammatory)
- 1 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar (high in acetic acid which kills pathogenic bacteria, whilst aiding in the growth of beneficial gut bacteria)
- If you have a juicer, you can add all the ingredients to this and it will make a lovely morning juice.
- Alternatively, you can add them to a food processor and blitz them for more of a smoothie texture, (I usually remove the lemon peel first). The advantage of this is that you have minimal waste (although the waste from our juicer gets eaten, usually by the kids or the dog!) Also all the fibre remains, which includes pectin fibre found in the skin of apples. Pectin binds with fatty substances in the digestive tract (such as cholesterol) and can help to eliminate them.