I was recently asked what I use to protect my skin from premature ageing. The truth is that there isn’t a miracle cure because skin ageing is caused by so many factors.
Eating a wholefood diet with plenty of fresh vegetables and water will help keep the skin looking at its best, as will sleeping well and getting plenty of exercise and fresh air. Avoiding processed foods, sugar and alcohol will also help as well as not smoking.
Since collagen is needed to keep the skin elastic, then ensuring it is included in your diet will boost your chances of looking young! The cheapest and easiest way to get collagen is from home made bone broth. You can find my recipe here. Adding this to soups, stews or sauces will provide a boost of extra minerals to your diet as well.
Avoiding toxins in toiletries is an important factor in skin health which is one of the reasons I make my own. This is the recipe I use for eye cream:
- 2 tbsp.Shea Butter
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. Vitamin E Oil(deeply moisturising and protects skin from environmental toxins)
- 3 drops Helicrysum essential oil (also known as Immortelle, stimulates new cell growth)
- 2 drop Myrrh essential oil (tones and rejuvenates the skin)
- Gently melt the shea butter and coconut oil together in a pyrex bowl over a pan of hot water. Do not rush this step or overheat the ingredients as it will destroy some of their healing properties.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Pour into a small glass container (60ml is enough)
- Leave to cool completely and set.
Some important notes on Essential Oil use
Frankincense essential oil is lovely for aging skin as it is a powerful rejuvenator. However, its recent rise in popularity (partly perhaps as a result of the incorrect claims that it might cure cancer), has meant that the Frankincense tree is now on the endangered list in Somalia. There are alternative oils to chose from, so for now I will not be recommending the use of Frankincense which is why is not included above.
Contraindications I refer you to the list of contraindications here. Please check these and do not use any oils where any contraindications listed might apply to you.
A note on affiliates;
Some of the links (in blue) on my website are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, the price is the same for you and I receive a small commission that helps to keep Nudi Organics up and running.