Its that time of year when many of us are burning the candle at both ends and the change of season brings the inevitable coughs and colds.
But fear not, help is at hand in the form of Eucalyptus essential oil! We all know that eucalyptus leaves are a staple in the diet of Koala Bears, but by steam distilling the leaves, we are able to extract the essential oil for our own benefits too!
Uses and benefits;
- Expectorant – eucalyptus oil helps to clear a stuffy head by aiding in the expulsion of mucus. A couple of drops in a diffuser at night will help to clear your sinuses and aid in a good night’s rest.
- Air purifier – because of its antibacterial and antiviral properties, eucalyptus oil will also help to clean the air in the house, which is great for the rest of the household when someone has a cold, as well as reducing the burden on the person suffering.
- Scalp tonic – 1 or 2 drops added to a tablespoon of coconut oil and massaged into the scalp will help reduce itchiness and dandruff, (whilst the coconut oil will moisturise the hair too). Note, to rinse out, apply shampoo before wetting the hair, then rinse and wash as normal.
- Cleaning – due to being highly antimicrobial, this can be added to any household cleaning remedies to help clean work surfaces, bathrooms etc.
- Treating head lice – Adding 4 drops to 2 tablespoons of olive oil, this can be a highly effective treatment against head lice.
- Dust mites – a few drops added to your woollen dryer balls, will freshen your bedding and help to kill off dust mites. It can also be added to the filter in your vacuum cleaner for the same effect.
A word of caution
Eucalyptus oil is strong and should be used with caution. Always dilute it appropriately when used topically (1% dilution is enough), and avoid using topically on children under 7 years old.