Traditional flapjacks use golden syrup and sugar in their recipes, but I use coconut nectar.
Coconut nectar comes from the sap of the blossom on a coconut palm. It has a low GI which means it wont spike blood sugar in the way that conventional sugar does. It is also high in inulin, which is a prebiotic fibre needed for healthy digestion. This makes it a great substitute to normal processed white cane sugar.
Did you know how amazing oats are too?
Oats are extremely high in beta glucan which is a soluble fibre well known for its cholesterol lowering properties. It is also very effective at helping the body to balance blood sugar levels and maintain healthy gut bacteria.
- 50g butter (can also substitute with coconut oil)
- 150g oats
- 50g coconut nectar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Pre heat oven to 180C.
- Gently melt the butter in a pan.
- Move to a bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients
- Press out into a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Leave to cool and then cut into slices