Bergamot – the oil associated with Spring! (And the smell of Earl Grey tea!)
Produced from the rinds of the fruit, which are grown almost exclusively in Italy. It is usually cold pressed from the rind, but can also be distilled. The distilled oil is naturally furocumarin free (FCF), making it far less phototoxic and therefore a better option for skin application.
Uses and Benefits:
- Uplifting and encouraging – This oil can make you feel more balanced and cheerful. A couple of drops added to a shot of milk in the bath will boost your mood and help you feel more relaxed.
- Natural Sleep Aid – diffuse for 20 minutes in the evening to help quieten the mind ready for sleep (or enjoy a relaxing bath as noted above).
- Acne and skin problems – it calms and soothes irritated, acne prone skin. Add up to 5 drops to 3 tbsp. carrier oil to use as a facial oil (Calendula, Olive or Rosehip seed oils are all good carriers for acne prone skin). Use the FCF version to reduce the chances of photosensitivity.
- Insect repellent – diffuse to keep insects at bay.
- Sore throats and respiratory infections – inhalation would be the best way to help the body to fight off infection.
- Fevers – diffuse for 20 minutes at a time to support the body in managing a fever.
- Deodorant – diffuse to remove unwanted odours from the house.
- Genito-urinary tract – The antiseptic properties of this oil can support the body in dealing with urinary tract infections such as cystitis. Dilute 3 drops in 1 tbsp. carrier oil and massage into the abdomen.
I buy my Bergamot oil here.
As with all citrus oils, (but especially with this one!) avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying directly to the skin. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.
A note on affiliates;
Some of the links on my website are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, the price is the same for you and I receive a small commission that helps to keep Nudi Organics up and running.