These are my son’s favourite breakfast!
But did you know that Beetroot is a powerhouse of nutritional goodness? Packed full of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C and potassium, they are a great way to start the day. They are rich in fibre which will help keep the gut functioning properly, as well as containing glutamine, an amino acid essential to the health of the intestinal tract. According to the BBC food guide, they can boost the number of white blood cells, essential for a healthy immune system as well as antioxidant enzymes in the body needed for detoxification (1).
And here are some other important facts;
- The pigment that gives them their rich colour, Betacyanin, is thought to suppress the development of some types of cancer (2)?
- Lower blood pressure – nitrates found in beets are converted to nitric acid by the body, which helps to dilate blood vessels (3).
- Anti-inflammatory – they contain betaine which helps protect cells, proteins and enzymes from environmental stress (4).
So now you know you need some beetroot in your life, try my recipe for healthy breakfast muffins!
- 150g gluten free flour (Doves farm gluten free flour mix or plain rice flour work really well, but I also make up a mix myself of approximately 1/3 almond flour, 1/3 coconut flour and 1/3 tapioca flour if I want to be completely grain free)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 60g coconut oil
- 4 medium sized beetroots peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large eggs
- Pre heat oven to 180C.
- Measure out and mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a food processor, combine the coconut oil, beetroot and eggs, and then blend into a smooth paste. (If you are using coconut flour in your recipe you might want to add a dash of almond milk to make sure there is enough moisture in the paste).
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry, mix well and spoon into muffin cases.
- Bake for 10 – 20 minutes depending on the type of oven you have. (A fan oven will need less time). Check to make sure they aren’t turning brown, and prick with a tooth pick to ensure cooked through – it should come out completely clean.