I LOVE this stimulating oil which is extracted from the plant using steam distillation.
Basil oil came onto my radar about a year ago, when a friend and Vintage Master Aromatherapist, Jane Lawson (Principal and Founder of The Natural Approach School and Therapies) told me that she thought it might aid in the memory function of people with Alzheimer’s Disease. This got my attention so I delved a little deeper.
The main benefit here is that it can aid specifically with memory recall.
Rosemary Essential Oil can help support concentration and memory retention, so it would make sense to use both Rosemary and Basil in conjunction. Diffuse Rosemary when you need to learn something, and Basil when you want to recall it. I’m in the process of testing out this theory myself while I am studying for my diploma in Aromatherapy and also using the combination with my lovely dad who has early stage Alzheimer’s disease. Watch this space!
Uses and benefits:
- Memory recall – inhaling Basil oil before or during an exam can help with recalling information. How brilliant is that for this time of year?! In the home it can be diffused, but in the exam room you could inhale it direct from the bottle.
- Nerve tonic – it can balance mood and therefore help alleviate anxiety and nervousness (again, great for exam time!)
- Ease congestion – inhaling Basil oil can support the body with a cold or a cough by easing congestion from catarrh. It may also help with associated congestion head aches.
- Muscular aches and pains – dilute to 1% in a carrier oil and apply to affected area to help soothe muscles. May be helpful for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Skin complaints – Basil oil can act as a skin tonic to restore balance in both acne prone and dry skin conditions. Add a few drops to your favourite bottle of moisturiser.
- Hormones – Basil oil can mimic oestrogen and therefore can be used to support the body with menstral related problems including scanty periods and breast engorgement. Add a couple of drops to the bath and chill out for 20 minutes!
- Digestion – can help stimulate pancreatic enzymes and soothe feelings of nausea and vomiting. Diffuse or inhale direct from the bottle.
I buy my Basil oil here.
Do not apply to sensitive or traumatised skin.
Avoid use if you are pregnant.
Always check for further contraindications or warnings.
A note on affiliates;
Some of the links on my website are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, the price is the same for you and I receive a small commission that helps to keep Nudi Organics up and running.